Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hunger Games Review

After a two-day binge, I finished The Hunger Games Trilogy.



I have mixed feelings about it. Overall, it was an absolutely captivating read and, like a good book or series, after I finished reading I was left in a daze for several hours. You know, the kind where you wonder how the people whose world you just left are doing right now. Seriously, I was not safe to drive. Unfortunately I realized that after I started driving but thankfully I didn't have far to go.

I'll start with the character's names. They didn't work for me; most didn't have a flow about them and after reading a name I would think, always, for a split second, "WHY THESE NAMES??" These names I am talking about include: Katniss, Peeta, Haymitch, Cinna, and Effie. Every time I read "Peeta" I imagined someone saying "Peter" in a goofy way with their head sticking out awkwardly. It distracted me from the flow of the book. Plus, I had a hard time taking this guy seriously.

There were two names that I did really like: Rue and Prim. They were for sweet, innocent little girls and I think they fit perfectly.

Two more upsides to the book were the story itself; the message, and how the world was developed. The story has political undertones; I agree with them and it seemed a bit realistic so it was also scary to think that we could be heading this way if someone doesn't intervene.

It is a difficult task to create a world, especially a future of our current world, and have enough detail to make it believable. Collins gave enough information to answer all of the questions I had asked in my head about this new world and they were satisfying answers. When I first saw the movie trailer, the first I had ever heard of this series, I thought it looked absolutely stupid and didn't think I would have anything to do with it. I'm glad I changed my mind.

The name problem, that's not really that big of a deal. I can get over someone else's preference in naming their characters. What reeeally bothered me was the ending. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I do not agree with who ended up with who and who lived and who died. It's seems... unnecessary to go through so much trouble to have the book headed in one direction to change it suddenly on a whim. This is the reason I cried while finishing the last pages.

Overall, I highly recommend reading this series. Any book that can draw me in so severely and require me to take a few hours or days to get back into my own world is worth a read. I am interested in seeing how the movie compares to the books. They usually never do, but I love seeing a world I've been to come to life before my eyes.

2 comments:

  1. I am currently in the second book of the series and I am totally captivated! However I totally agree with you in the name thing! If they had some sort of rhyme or reason behind them I might get it a bit more, but otherwise it is seriously random! It doesn't bother me much, but I did think about it!

    The ending is unfair however I am a sucker so I loved it! Great lead into the next book as well! Without that ending we might have only had one book! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up on your blog! I have not read this sereis, but I did read that the names from Hunger Games are trumping the Twilight names in new baby naming trends! Strange!!!!

    ReplyDelete